NADA in collaboration with the Aboriginal Health & Wellness Centre (AHWC), Kidney Foundation of Canada, Manitoba branch (KFOC MB) and other stakeholders (Stakeholder Register included at later date) are organizing a special event to mark World Diabetes Day and raise awareness of diabetes and its complications. This will be an event for people to come together, celebrate, connect, learn and share information on Friday, November 13, from 10:30 am to 2:30 pm, at the Aboriginal Centre (181 Higgins Avenue) in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
World Diabetes Day (WDD) is held annually on November 14. The National Aboriginal Diabetes Association (NADA) is mandated to raise awareness of the event and generally around diabetes in Aboriginal populations. There is a need across Aboriginal communities to be aware of this special occasion and come together on this special day to learn, connect and share the good news that diabetes can be prevented through healthy living and a wholistic approach to living a healthier life.
The goals of the Event are to have:
• 20 people participate and get tested for diabetes and its complications
• 80-100+ people participate in the WDD event and receive information about WDD and diabetes
• 7 or more organizations are invited and provide information to 80-100+ people on diabetes and many other health promotion themes such as healthy eating, kidney disease, eye disease, physical activity, etc.
The Event will provide:
• A running health clinic to test people for diabetes complications
• A healthy eating booth and a dietitian to provide relevant information
• Pictures taken and used later for promotion
• Cultural activities
• Human circle toward the closing of the event
• 10 or more prizes for completed surveys
• Information on healthy living policies at workplace
• At least 7 booths/organizations represented at the event
• Refreshments and catering
NADA would like to partner with you and our existing partners for the event, either to help plan, provide an information booth, provide financial or in-kind resources, or provide prizes for survey participants. Please contact NADA Project Manager Alisher Kabildjanov at email@example.com for further info or to take part.
A Save-the-Date and Poster will be distributed once stakeholders/partners are confirmed.
We would like to acknowledge the North West Company for sponsoring the Healthy Snack break.