Type 1 cannot be prevented.
Type 2 diabetes can be prevented.
Prevention of Type 2 diabetes results mainly from healthy living, by:
- Managing your body weight through a balanced meal plan and a healthy way of eating with regular physical activity/exercise
- Learning to mange your stress because it can cause your blood sugar to rise
- Lose weight if you are overweight
- Good management of blood sugar levels can keep you feeling well, have lots of energy and free from infections
How we keep ourselves healthy relates directly to our personal health. All of the following points will increase the risk for developing Type 2 diabetes but these are things we can control and change.
- Little or no exercise
- High levels of stress
- Poor eating habits – high sugar, high fat diet